Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Live and Learn - Reward System

So this past year, I tried 2 different reward systems. They both flopped. 

As a math support teacher, I was met with a wide range of discipline problems in all of my 6 classes. Dealing with that as a new teacher was rather difficult, so I enlisted some help from my principal. I went to her a few times and asked what I could do better as far as classroom management goes. She suggested a reward system.

The next weekend, I went to the store and bought some little pebbles. You know, like the kind you put in a fish tank. I got little containers and marked a line on each of them, one for each class. I decided that if the class did well, they would get points for the day. When they filled up the container to the line, they would get a whole class reward.
  
There were a couple of issues with this reward system. For one, I kept forgetting to give points to classes on a daily basis. The second, I didn't have a standard number or goal for a certain amount of points. I was just kinda putting them in based on how I felt the class went. Three, it took my classes a looooong time to fill the containers up because of their difficulties in the behavior department. Four, the students soon became disenchanted because one or two students would ruin the reward for the whole class.



With all that being said, one event put the icing on the cake. This showed me that my first choice in a reward system was pretty terrible. One day, my principal came to me with one of my little pebbles in hand. She told me that I had to get rid of the reward system because of an incident in the building involving my students and the pebbles. Apparently, one of my students had stolen a big handful of the pebbles the previous day. He brought them to school in his pocket the next day and gave them out to his friends. His friends preceded to throw them at each other right before the bell rang for the school day to start. At the time, all of the students were in the gym or getting breakfast. One of the pebbles just happened to hit a girl right beside the eye. 

Needless to say, the students involved were punished, and I took my pebbles home that very afternoon. 

After that, I tried ClassDojo. I thought that giving rewards on an individual basis would be a good change, and no one would get hurt. However, I just could not find time to keep up with giving and taking away points in the middle of class. ClassDojo is very wonderful if you have a tablet connected to the Smartboard. Then you can give or take away points during class, and students can see who needs to keep their behavior in check. However, I do not have this in my classroom and it just didn't work for me.

This year was very much so a lesson learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment