Pages

Friday, October 30, 2015

Live and Learn Series - Weekly Schedule

Creating a weekly schedule for your class can be very beneficial. It helps you create a sense of structure. It also sets expectations for students. If students know what to expect, and what is expected of them, they are more likely to live up to those expectations. There will not be a grey area in which students are unsure how they are supposed to act, with the ultimate outcome probably being a behavioral issue.

My weekly schedule for my classroom is as follows:

Monday - Notes day
Tuesday & Wednesday - Centers
Thursday & Friday - Computer lab

Any time that I deviate from this weekly schedule because of teacher work days, holidays, etc I let my students know in advanced. This helps create a climate in which students are comfortable because there isn't any guessing when it comes to what kind of activity we are completing that day.

I do have more flexibility with how I structure my week, being that I teach a remedial math "connections" or "specials" class. However, I do think that you can achieve this in the regular classroom as well.


How do you structure your class?
What are your thoughts on keeping to a strict schedule every week?

No comments:

Post a Comment